What if you popped into the kitchen and whipped up these tasty crepes for mom? Perhaps mom, with her feet propped up reading a magazine, thinks to herself “Gee, I did raise them right.”? Wouldn’t that be cool? Try this fancy yet straightforward recipe and watch mom glow.
TOTAL TIME: 45 min (PREP: 20 min + COOK: 25 min)
CREPES – GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups sliced strawberries (about 1.5 pints)
- ½ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon (divided)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 eggs
LIME CREAM FILLING – GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
WHAT TO DO
- Toss strawberries with ½ cup sugar and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter, lime zest, lime juice and eggs. Beat together with a whisk or hand beater until smooth.
- Lightly grease 6-8 inch skillet with butter and heat over medium until butter bubbles (take care not to overheat and burn butter). Pour ¼ cup crepe batter into skillet and rotate to create a thin layer of batter covering the entire bottom of skillet. Cook until lightly golden brown. Using a wide spatula, turn and cook the other side. Crepes can be stacked on waxed or parchment paper; cool.
- Make Lime Cream Filling: Beat heavy whipping cream in a small, chilled bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat cream cheese in medium bowl on high speed until fluffy; gradually add sugar and lime zest. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Assemble crepes. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of cream filling down center of crepe; fold sides over filling. Top with strawberries and any remaining lime zest.